Cobalt Credit Union - Sponsor of Papillion Days Ice Cream Social - Thursday June 14, 2018 First Street PlazaPapillion Days Bronze Sponsor
The Credit Union started in November, 1946, when twelve individuals submitted a request to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to form the SAC Federal Credit Union. The first location of the present SAC Federal Credit Union was Andrews Field, Maryland. From those humble beginnings, the Credit Union has had many milestones in its history. Here are just a few that will show you how we've changed:
- 1948: The name of the Credit Union (CU) changed to the Strategic Air Command Federal Credit Union. However, in 1992, the CU reverted back to its original name, the SAC Federal Credit Union.
- 1949: The CU moved its office to Offutt Air Force Base, Omaha, Nebraska.
- 1979: The Fort Crook Federal Credit Union, organized in March, 1944, as the Offutt Federal Credit Union, merged with the Strategic Air Command Federal Credit Union.
- 1980: The CU moved its Main Office to 36th Street & Hwy. 370. The CU had now expanded to three branches.
- 1989: Total assets of the CU were over $100 million for the first time.
- 1993: Conversion to a community field of membership.
- 1997: The Plattsmouth Branch opened.
- 1998: CU@Home Online Account Access was introduced. The Papillion Branch opened.
- 2000: The Bellevue Branch opened on Longo Drive.
- 2001: The CU increased its community charter to include all of Douglas, Sarpy, and Cass Counties, NE and Pottawattamie County, IA. Total assets reached $200 million.
- 2002: The Ames Branch opened. The Main Office remodeling completed.
- 2003: The Millard Branch opened.
- 2004: The Council Bluffs Branch opened.
- 2005: The Maple Branch opened, marking the CU's tenth location. Business loans & services were added.
- 2006: The new Offutt Branch opened. President Jim Guretzky announced his retirement plans. SAC Federal Credit Union celebrated 60 years of service.
- 2007: The Board of Directors announced Gail DeBoer as President of SAC Federal Credit Union. The Shadow Lake Branch opened inside Hy-Vee at Shadow Lake Towne Center in Papillion. The South Omaha Branch opened at 24th & L Street.
- 2008: SAC FCU opened three new in-store locations: Council Bluffs Super Saver, Millard Super Saver, and Midtown Hy-Vee.
- 2009: The Credit Union added its Culture Development department. The rebranding of SAC FCU's logo was introduced.
- 2010: The Stony Brook Hy-Vee Branch, Lake Manawa Wal-Mart Branch, 31st & Ames Branch, and Gretna Wal-Mart Branch opened. Leo A Daly received a 2010 AIA Nebraska Design Award for the 31st & Ames Branch.
- 2011: SAC Federal Credit Union celebrated 65 years of service. The Credit Union increased its charter to include Washington and Saunders Counties, NE and Mills and Harrison Counties, IA, in addition to Douglas, Sarpy, and Cass Counties, NE and Pottawattamie County, IA.
- 2012: Blair No Frills Branch opened. Ground was broken for the new corporate headquarters at 72nd Street & Highway 370 in Papillion.
- 2014: The Ames Walmart branch opened. The corporate headquarters building was completed. Employees moved to the new headquarters in April, and the branch opened in May.
- 2015: The Base Exchange branch (Offutt AFB) opened.
During those years, the Credit Union systematically added new products and services to meet the changing needs of its membership: Share Drafts, Money Market Account, ATM and Debit/Check Cards, ATMs Machines, First Mortgage Loans, CU By Phone (account access by touch-tone phone), Home Equity Loans, Credit Cards, Indirect Auto Lending, The Dollar Dog Kids' Club (our youth saver's club), CU@Home (account access by computer with FREE Bill Pay) and eStatements.
Today, SAC Federal Credit Union is the largest locally-owned financial institution in Nebraska. We provide services to members through our 22 locations, many ATM locations, CU By Phone, and CU@Home. We're accessible and responsive to member needs.